Established in 1714 by two Frenchmen from the city Montpellier in France, this historic Cape Dutch wine estate recently celebrated its 300th anniversary. In the early years, Montpellier was used exclusively for grazing cattle. The first vineyard was planted soon after the original homestead was built (c. 1815 – c. 1820), but was intended for mostly private use. It was only in the late 1890s when the first commercial vineyards were planted. It was acquired by current owner advocate Lucas van Tonder in 2001.