Bot River Wine Route
In the rolling hills of the Bot River area, down-to-earth, sociable farmers make wines for lovers of the road less travelled. Here you can taste wines made from the oldest vines in the region, as well as more recent varietals from new plantings.
From historic and traditional wineries to the most modern state-of-the-art cellars, the common denominators are a warm welcome, handcrafted wines, a commitment to biodiversity and the desire to share hours of sociable sipping.
Within a 10km radius, the wine traveller can experience real country hospitality and taste wines made from the oldest vines in the region, as well as the latest, most innovative varietals from new plantings.
Bot River has many local arts and crafts available, as well as hiking and biking trails in the surrounding mountains.
From the top of the Houwhoek Pass, one gets the first glimpse of the vast, rolling hills and big sky of the Bot River area, where real people make real wine.
The Bot River area offers handcrafted, top-quality wines, a commitment to biodiversity and the desire to share hours of sociable sipping with fellow wine lovers.
The Arabella Hotel & Spa is situated just over an hour's drive from Cape Town, and close to Bot River. Indulge in a weekend getaway or a mid-week break at this golf resort and spa, on the edge of the Bot River lagoon.
The Bot River area offers various activities for visitors to enjoy. The Houwhoek Pass area is popular with nature lovers, and it offers numerous biking and running trails. Visit the town itself and catch the friendly locals at the Bot River Hotel, or browse quaint arts and craft shops.
- See Bot River and its vineyards on horseback with Klein Paradys Equestrian Centre
- Green Mountain Eco Route is the world’s first biodiversity wine route. Experience this four-day hiking trail around the mountains of the Overberg region
- Bring your mountain bike and take a ride down the Van der Stel Pass gravel road that runs between Bot River and Villiersdorp. Wildekrans Wine Estate also has a mountain bike track
- A more relaxing pursuit is trout fly-fishing in Bot River
- Bird-watching opportunities are vast for enthusiasts looking to expand their South African portfolios
- Other, adrenalin-filled activities include abseiling, rock climbing, guided tours on quad bikes and 4x4 adventures
- As Bot River is a small wine route and most farms are owner/winemaker-operated, you have the opportunity when visiting to meet the winemaker
- Enjoy a great variety of restaurants, some located on picturesque wine farms
- Check out the Bot River Hotel, which serves as the meeting point for travellers and the community
- Visit the historic watermill at Beaumont Wines
- The wineries are all kid-friendly
- De Geheime Kelder Gallery showcases local talent in curated exhibitions throughout the year
The annual Bot River Barrels and Beards Harvest Festival, with its quirky antics and wine auction, has become a favourite event for visitors to this area.
The unconventional coastal wine route
Over holidays the stretch of the R43 between its intersection with the N2 and the coast gets particularly busy as families head out to the favourites of Hermanus, Franskraal, De Kelders and Pearly Beach.
At these times, the R43 becomes its own de facto wine route - not by traditional evaluations of terroir or climate, but because of the many of these regions the road traverses. In this example, there are also several world-class wine experiences along the way too.
This then becomes the invitation not only to stock up for the coming weeks of relaxation, but to replenish the home cellar by filling the Ventertjie on the return trip.
From Vine to Glass: South African Wine & Traceability
In the Middle Ages wax seals were used to authenticate documents. South Africa’s own sustainability wine seal does a similar job. The seal guarantees that the information on the bottle label about the variety, vintage and origin of the wine is accurate and that the wine has been grown and made in an environmentally friendly way. To date, South Africa is the only country in the world with such an all-encompassing guarantee.