Bot River Wine Route
In the rolling hills of the Bot River area, down-to-earth, sociable farmers make wines for lovers of the road less travelled. Here you can taste wines made from the oldest vines in the region, as well as more recent varietals from new plantings.
From historic and traditional wineries to the most modern state-of-the-art cellars, the common denominators are a warm welcome, handcrafted wines, a commitment to biodiversity and the desire to share hours of sociable sipping.Contact Us
Within a 10km radius, the wine traveller can experience real country hospitality and taste wines made from the oldest vines in the region, as well as the latest, most innovative varietals from new plantings.
Bot River has many local arts and crafts available, as well as hiking and biking trails in the surrounding mountains.
From the top of the Houwhoek Pass, one gets the first glimpse of the vast, rolling hills and big sky of the Bot River area, where real people make real wine.
The Bot River area offers handcrafted, top-quality wines, a commitment to biodiversity and the desire to share hours of sociable sipping with fellow wine lovers.
The Arabella Hotel & Spa is situated just over an hour's drive from Cape Town, and close to Bot River. Indulge in a weekend getaway or a mid-week break at this golf resort and spa, on the edge of the Bot River lagoon.
The Bot River area offers various activities for visitors to enjoy. The Houwhoek Pass area is popular with nature lovers, and it offers numerous biking and running trails. Visit the town itself and catch the friendly locals at the Bot River Hotel, or browse quaint arts and craft shops.
- See Bot River and its vineyards on horseback with Klein Paradys Equestrian Centre
- Green Mountain Eco Route is the world’s first biodiversity wine route. Experience this four-day hiking trail around the mountains of the Overberg region
- Bring your mountain bike and take a ride down the Van der Stel Pass gravel road that runs between Bot River and Villiersdorp. Wildekrans Wine Estate also has a mountain bike track
- A more relaxing pursuit is trout fly-fishing in Bot River
- Bird-watching opportunities are vast for enthusiasts looking to expand their South African portfolios
- Other, adrenalin-filled activities include abseiling, rock climbing, guided tours on quad bikes and 4x4 adventures
- As Bot River is a small wine route and most farms are owner/winemaker-operated, you have the opportunity when visiting to meet the winemaker
- Enjoy a great variety of restaurants, some located on picturesque wine farms
- Check out the Bot River Hotel, which serves as the meeting point for travellers and the community
- Visit the historic watermill at Beaumont Wines
- The wineries are all kid-friendly
- De Geheime Kelder Gallery showcases local talent in curated exhibitions throughout the year
The annual Bot River Barrels and Beards Harvest Festival, with its quirky antics and wine auction, has become a favourite event for visitors to this area.
20 Festive Markets and Events in the Winelands
‘Tis the season for festive markets, carols by candlelight, sparkling decorations and all the magic that a warm South African summer Christmas can bring.
To make sure you and your family have a merry memorable time in the winelands, here’s a round-up of 20 of the 2019 holiday season events and attractions in the different wine routes you can’t miss.
Romantic Getaways on 20 Different Wine Routes
Quality time away with your partner probably doesn’t happen often, so when it does, make sure it’s a memorable experience. That’s why we’ve rounded up some of the most romantic and unique getaways across 20 different wine routes in South Africa.
Whether it’s for your honeymoon, anniversary, proposal or just some time away to reconnect, you’ll find something special to suit your budget and taste.
Explore South African Wine Routes
Explore South Africa's twenty-three wine routes with our insider guide and tailor-make your next winery visit here. Travel to the place of origin to learn more about South African wine, to uncover regional secrets and simply to slow down and enjoy life's special moments.