Bot River Wine Route
In the rolling hills of the Bot River area, down-to-earth, sociable farmers make wines for lovers of the road less travelled. Here you can taste wines made from the oldest vines in the region, as well as more recent varietals from new plantings.
From historic and traditional wineries to the most modern state-of-the-art cellars, the common denominators are a warm welcome, handcrafted wines, a commitment to biodiversity and the desire to share hours of sociable sipping.Contact Us
Within a 10km radius, the wine traveller can experience real country hospitality and taste wines made from the oldest vines in the region, as well as the latest, most innovative varietals from new plantings.
Bot River has many local arts and crafts available, as well as hiking and biking trails in the surrounding mountains.
From the top of the Houwhoek Pass, one gets the first glimpse of the vast, rolling hills and big sky of the Bot River area, where real people make real wine.
The Bot River area offers handcrafted, top-quality wines, a commitment to biodiversity and the desire to share hours of sociable sipping with fellow wine lovers.
The Arabella Hotel & Spa is situated just over an hour's drive from Cape Town, and close to Bot River. Indulge in a weekend getaway or a mid-week break at this golf resort and spa, on the edge of the Bot River lagoon.
The Bot River area offers various activities for visitors to enjoy. The Houwhoek Pass area is popular with nature lovers, and it offers numerous biking and running trails. Visit the town itself and catch the friendly locals at the Bot River Hotel, or browse quaint arts and craft shops.
- See Bot River and its vineyards on horseback with Klein Paradys Equestrian Centre
- Green Mountain Eco Route is the world’s first biodiversity wine route. Experience this four-day hiking trail around the mountains of the Overberg region
- Bring your mountain bike and take a ride down the Van der Stel Pass gravel road that runs between Bot River and Villiersdorp. Wildekrans Wine Estate also has a mountain bike track
- A more relaxing pursuit is trout fly-fishing in Bot River
- Bird-watching opportunities are vast for enthusiasts looking to expand their South African portfolios
- Other, adrenalin-filled activities include abseiling, rock climbing, guided tours on quad bikes and 4x4 adventures
- As Bot River is a small wine route and most farms are owner/winemaker-operated, you have the opportunity when visiting to meet the winemaker
- Enjoy a great variety of restaurants, some located on picturesque wine farms
- Check out the Bot River Hotel, which serves as the meeting point for travellers and the community
- Visit the historic watermill at Beaumont Wines
- The wineries are all kid-friendly
- De Geheime Kelder Gallery showcases local talent in curated exhibitions throughout the year
The annual Bot River Barrels and Beards Harvest Festival, with its quirky antics and wine auction, has become a favourite event for visitors to this area.
Call For Entries: Great Wine Capitals Best Of Wine Tourism Awards 2021
Celebrating innovation and excellence in wine tourism throughout the greatest wine regions in the world, Wesgro extends a call for applications across the province for wine producers, wine experiences and wineries to enter into the prestigious Great Wine Capitals Best Of Wine Tourism Awards 2021, free of charge.
The Journey of a Grape
The journey from vine to glass is a matter of science and circumstance. There are a wide number of species of vines which bears a variety of grapes, known as varietals. Each varietal, affected by soil type, climate, wind, farming practices and other factors produces various characteristics.
Tshepang Molisana shares the journey of a grape from vine to wine glass with us.
Explore South African Wine Routes
Explore South Africa's twenty-three wine routes with our insider guide and tailor-make your next winery visit here. Travel to the place of origin to learn more about South African wine, to uncover regional secrets and simply to slow down and enjoy life's special moments.